|Meeting Report of April 24, 2012
Carol Sobczak, Reporter
YOUTH EXCHANGE - from Sicily to St Helena
Andy Bartlett introduced our current Inbound Exchange Student, Maria Victoria Gurrieri (fondly known as “Mavi”), along with two sets of her host parents, Jill & Darrell Quirici and Lisa Drinkward and Les Behrens. Also introduced were St Helena High School principal Julie Synard and vice-principal Ben Scinto. To round out such an illustrious gathering were Gemma Aquilina, our Rebound Student, and Chip Decker, who is Outbound next school year.
This reporter hopes she spelled everyone’s name correctly and, if not, she apologizes profusely in advance!
Mavi gave us an informative presentation about her native land of Sicily which, as she boasted, is farther south on its southern edge than the most northern part of Africa. (I’m getting my atlas out tonight!). Mavi first showed us a video she made on how much she loves Sicily, to thank us for our support, and to show how our two cultures are different, yet similar. We were all taken aback by the subjects that Mavi learns in school, such as Greek language and literature, and Latin language and literature. Her school is in a 17th-century building (how cool is that) and most kids old enough ride Vespas to school. We were amused when she said she was afraid she would gain 30 pounds here because of MacDonalds and Burger King, but I don’t think she has gained an ounce! We do keep our students busy here!
Thanks to the host families, to Andy, and to Suzan Sculatti who work so hard with our youth. And a posthumous thanks to Roger Adams, who held a place in his heart for all our students. This reporter definitely felt his presence in our meeting room today.
Thanks to Frank Sottile for a lovely thought of the day, an American Indian saying that reminded this reporter of our four-way test.
- Kathy Polachek our annual visiting friend from Denora PA
- Capp Lyons from Oakland CA
Guests: None other than all those folks listed above
- Alan Galbraith 1 year
- Peter Scott 1 year
- Kendace O’Donnell 3 years
- April Duge 2 years
- John Sales 13 years
- Hans & Rebecca Wetzel - 15 years
- Please keep Rebecca Uribe in your thoughts/prayers as she was in a bad motorcycle accident.
- OUR NEW FUNDRAISER, A NIGHT AT THE SAINT HELENA SALOON (POKER NIGHT), NEEDS TICKET BUYERS AND ATTENDEES. Peter Scott, President Kelly Crane, and Cindy Warren all urged us to buy and sell tickets. We are on the home stretch and REALLY need everyone’s participation.
- President Kelly Crane announced a “Thank You” from Napa State Hospital for the $805 donation we made for 1,200 patients to receive Christmas gifts. Thank you to Joice Beatty for not letting us forget these all-too-forgotten souls.
- Suzan Sculatti thanked us for our donations of canned food the Internet Club is collecting for the Food Bank.
- Fr Mac announced a fundraiser for Juan Sanchez, who is participating in this year’s Death Valley Marathon, this Wednesday from 6 to 8 pm at Velo Vino.
- The Saint Helena Athletic Association is hosting a Fajita Fest on May 5th at Native Sons Hall, and the Association will honor Dr. Darter. Cindy Warren has details.
- Orville Hammer, guest Les Behrens, and Michele Neuman were the big winners.
Andy Barlett fined April Duge, Cynthia Kee, John Muhlner, Jack Neal, Kendace O’Donnell, Alan Galbraith, Suzan Sculatti, Jill Munson, John Thomas, and Warren Warner for not having their photos on our web site. Nice way to make a few bucks, Andy!
Tip from This Reporter: Log on to our web site. Look under “My Club Runner.” You’ll see a link that says “Upload My Photo.” That will also allow you to edit your personal information. Ta da!!