|Meeting Report of May 22, 2012
Carol Sobczak - Reporter
RYLA - “One of the Greatest Weeks in Our Live" - our Rotary HIGH SCHOOL SCHOLARS
This reporter was lucky once again to report on youth issues. Today, Andy Bartlett introduced this year’s Rotary Youth Leadership Award winners, Dana Cronin and Joseph Davis, who will attend the RYLA camp this summer.
Last year’s winners, Kristina Ericson and Ian McCaffrey, showed us photos of last year’s RYLA camp and talked about what a wonderful experience it was. For five days, 75 campers worked on improving their people skills, public speaking skills, and participated in activities including sports and listening to motivational speakers. Each one actually said it was “one of the greatest weeks in my life.” Ian had such a great time he is going to be a counselor next year, and every year thereafter “that they’ll have me.”
Cindy Warren introduced the two high school scholarship winners. The winner of the Rotary Scholarship, in honor of Roger Adams, was none other than Kristina Ericson, who read us her paper answering the question, “How Does Community Service Promote Peace in Our World?” Kristina will attend the Global College of Long Island University and study in about 12 foreign countries.
The winner of the Elwood Mee Scholarship, which goes to a student who will major in agriculture, was none other than Ian McCaffrey. He read his paper entitled, “The Most Important Issue Facing Agriculture Today.” That issue -- WATER. Ian will attend UC Davis in the fall.
Thanks to Joel Toller for our thought of the day.
Visiting Rotarians: Norm Manzer, Calistoga, who thanked everyone who helped raise $53,000 for his Russian orphans by participating in the annual rummage sale.
- John Burton, guest of Kathleen Patterson
- Chris Rubio, guest of Pam Rubio
- Ben Scinto, SHHS principal
- Julie Synard, SHHS vice-principal
- Terri Meineke, SHHS counselor
- Kristina Ericson, RYLA and Scholarship Winner
- Ian McCaffrey, RYLA and Scholarship Winner
- Joseph Davis, RYLA winner
- Dana Cronin, RYLA winner
- Exchange Student, Maria Victoria Gurrieri (fondly known as “Mavi”)
- Mark Terrell
- Natalie Klug
- Audie Hayne
Club Anniversaries: None
Wedding Anniversaries: Dave and Kathy Brotemarkle 29 years
- SAVE THE DATE of June 26, when we will be dark, but in the evening will be debunking outgoing President Kelly Crane, announced incoming President Margot Kennedy.
- DeWitt Garlock announced this year’s Relay for Life. Please see DeWitt for details.
- And don’t forget the annual District Conference being held from June 14-17 in Fortuna. Come celebrate the District’s and our Club’s year in Rotary along with DG Maureen Merrill and our very own President Kelly Crane and lot of Rotarians!
- Guest Chris Rubio (but no black marble),
- Lester Hoel
- April Duge
- Charlotte Williamson, but for sad news that her faithful dog passed away.
- Alyssa Samrick for the good news that her son turned two years old.
- Hans Wetzel for the good news that his son turned eight years old.
- Pam Rubio, who showed us a picture of her grandfather on the Beaulieu Vineyards advertisement celebrating its 112-year anniversary.
Finemaster: Ted Bystrowski fined:
- Frank Sottile, and
- John Sales for wrong answers to questions about Notable Days in May, and
- Fr Mac, Kathleen Patterson, Michele Neumann, and April Duge for correct answers!