Reporter: Cindy Warren
Speaker: Paul Zamarian, Great Seal Foundation. Introduced by Stevenson Atherton.
“The Great Seal: Our Public Secret”
Every country has an official seal, which authenticates a document. The creation of the U.S. Great Seal began in 1776. It took six years and designs from 3 committees to create the Great Seal. One side was the eagle and the other a pyramid with an eye. It was finally adopted in 1782. The eagle was widely accepted but the pyramid design became obscure.
In 1884 a law was passed to complete both sides of the Official Seal with $1000 appropriated to Tiffany to do the work. Upon completion, a panel of three decided they didn’t like the pyramid side and it once again, went back into obscurity. A dye was struck of the eagle side only.
FDR discovered the pyramid design and wanted it put on the dollar bill, where it stands today opposite the eagle.
The Eagle holds 13 arrows and an olive branch with 13 leaves. The shield has 13 stripes. A banner above the eagle says “e pluribus unum”.
The pyramid represents a solid foundation. The eye represents “Annuit Coeptis” -Eye of divine Providence. “Novus ordo seclorum” means New Order of the Ages.
Guests: Perry Clark - guest of Ted Bystrowski
Visiting Rotarians: Carol Hawkins, Seminole County South, Bob Braddock, Seminole County South, Dr. Ron Light, Concord. Cap Lyons, Oakland
Birthdays: Rebecca Uribe, Steve Ebersole, Kelly Crane
Anniversaries: Pam Rubio, Paul Krsek
- Carol Sobczak; District Conference is June 14-17
- Andy Bartlett: Some students need rides to the District Conference
- Mike Thomas: The buzz is, a beehive is missing from the Saloon Night.
- Cindy Warren: Attended Awards Night at St. Helena High. Jodie Adams presented the Rotary Scholarship honoring Roger Adams. She called to say thank you.
Raffle Winners: Dave Brotemarkle, Judd Howell, Dave Moreland
- Norm Mitroff returned from a trip to India and thanked Suzan Sculatti for her travel planning.
- Suzan Sculatti went to the World Tea Expo in Vegas and launched a new “green” One-Touch teapot. She sold over 300 at the event.
- Alyssa Samrick said her daughter graduated from kindergarten.
- Stevenson Atherton is going to be a grandfather. Son Parker and wife are expecting a baby girl.
Finemaster: Kelly Crane “Eclipse Trivia”
The following Rotarians brilliantly answered the questions: Rob “Venus Rising” Andreae, John Hollister, Cynthia Kee, Natalie Klug, Norm Mitroff