|Meeting Report of July 3, 2012
Reporter: Cindy Warren
Welcome to new Rotary President, Margo Kennedy who had a stunning first day on the job.. The theme this year is “Peace and Service”.
Speaker: Congressman Mike Thompson, D. California, introduced by Chuck Meibeyer. Also present, Brad Aldorado, Mike Thompson's District representative.
Congressman Thompson gave an update on what is going on in Washington, D.C., and at the state and local level:
- Recent redistricting in California, which is done every 10 years. Our current District 1 will become District 5 . The change will move Napa County from the current rural district into one with more urban areas.
- A new voter policy with the top 2 vote-getters in the primary moving to the general election., regardless of political party.
- He successfully got language into the studies for the St. Helena Flood Project.
- Diane Dillon testified in D.C. about federal recognition of the Wappo Indians. This could jeopardize our agricultural economy as the Wappos could place casinos in Napa and Sonoma County.
- The Healthcare ruling was handed down by the Supreme Court.
- The transportation bill has passed the House.
- Student Loan legislation was passed.
- Congressman Thompson stressed the importance of both sides working together.
- Congressman Thompson stated that the contempt of Congress vote against Attorney General Eric Holder was politically motivated.
- Thompson said “The Tea Party folks in Congress are Obstructionists”. He went on to say they were creating chaos in Congress.
- Though many think congress is in Lame Duck mode, there is much to address before the November election: Estate Taxes; R&D tax credits; Conservation; Bush Tax cuts expiring; Payroll Tax cuts are expiring; Unemployment benefits are expiring.
- The U.S. has a National Security issue with Iran.
- Warren Warner - wedding anniversary.
- Carol Sobczak - Rotary anniversary
- Kelly Crane received his Past President’s Pin and Badge.
- Dewitt Garlock presented Ted Bystrowski with his Blue Badge. Ted will be the 2012-2013 membership chair.
- Margo Kennedy announced that Board meetings will be the 2nd Tuesday of each month at 10:45.
- Stevenson Atherton presented us with a bio of his grandfather Warren Atherton.
- Cindy Warren read a thank you note from Kristina Ericson, Rotary Scholarship winner.
- There is a screening of “The Welcome” about PTSD at the Cameo on Weds. July 11 at 7:30.
- Dewitt Garlock promoted the Relay for Life event. Rotary will partner with Rianda House.
- Joice Beattie is collecting Rotary raffle prizes. Please donate two items with a value of $25 each.
- Carol Sobczak said Rotary polos are in. Pick them up next week or at her office.
- April Duge is setting up a Rotary table at Cheers! This Friday. She would like some helpers.
Raffle Winners: Judd Howell, John Sales, Jim Smith
- Polly Keegan just returned from 2 weeks in Boston and Nantucket
- Davie Brotemarkle went to his daughter’s UCLA graduation (Phi Beta Kappa) and then took a family trip to Turks and Caicos. In 2 weeks he will do a 2 week road trip to Glacier National Park. Nice life, Dave!
- Alyssa Samrick said her daughter graduated from kindergarten.
- Stevenson Atherton is going to be a grandfather. Son Parker and wife are expecting a baby girl.
Finemaster: Phil Toohey - St. Helena Rotary questions
Guests: Lisa Fynes, guest of Ted Bystrowski
Visiting Rotarians: Paul Bystrowski, Sacramento