After a grand entrance for President Larry Dean and his wife Laurie that was lead by cyclists and surrounded by past presidents, PP Bev Lenihan called the meeting to order.
PP Its Uenaka led the pledge of allegiance.
PP Steve Andrews offered the Inspiration.
President Larry introduced his special guests of family and friends. District Governor Arley Marley and his wife, Mary were introduced.
Visiting Rotarians and guests of members were acknowledged from the podium.
Following five minutes of fellowship time, PP Bev introduced two of the Grateful Dads Keith Kreft and Sam Grinels (President Larry is the third, but was not singing today). The two Dads sang a variation of “On the Road Again” with a bicycle theme. The second song was “I’ll Never Ride a Bike Again” based on the music from “I’ll Never Fall in Love Again”.
Professor Hugh Riddell reported on how President Larry did this past year in terms of mistakes during meetings. His assistant this year was Jagi Shahani. While a month-by-month recounting of errors was reported the overall grade was an A.
PP Steve Andrews reported that Larry received the Change Maker Award presented by the International Rotary in recognition of all of the positive changes made this past year. These changes included video taping the weekly meeting, the Weekly Wheel, ramping up Clubrunner, new members, photos, expanded fellowship, and expanded pumpkin carving.
PP President Kathy Nellis stated that this was the 57th year of Cupertino Rotary and it was a good time to reflect and say thank you to Larry and his team. The Rotary Club of Cupertino is one of the best in the world. This year showed positive in fundraising, international projects, local community projects, and internal administrative actions.
President Larry had some acknowledgements. He introduced his leadership team and thanked them. He thanked Jake for creating “the hook”. He acknowledged Jake as a Paul Harris Fellow. He thanked Hugh Riddell. Some of the awards handed out included:
PP Kathy Nellis and PP Its Uenaka presented the Its Uenaka Award to Pat Jackson for inspirational leadership and commitment to the Rotary Club of Cupertino and the Cupertino Rotary Endowment Fund.
- Winning Service Award to Rebuilding Together
- Acknowledged Hung Wei on her work with the Fellowship Committee
- Acknowledged Suzi Blackman and Leslie Hay for the evening socials
- Gave the Jimmy Olsen Award to Alex Verstak for his work as the official photographer
- Recognized Gary Niedermier for making the wine fellowship happen.
- Acknowledged Jerra Rowland and Judy Wilson for all of their hard work and outstanding volunteer support
- Outstanding Rookies were Barbara McArthur, Stewart Rosenberg, and Gigi Lam
- Gave the Vocational Services Award to Jim Jackson and PP Bev Lenihan
- Presented the President’s Award to Helene Davis and Melonie Brophy for the excellent speakers and programs
- Presented the newly created Dick Lohmiller Award for someone who appears to be working everywhere to PP Orrin Mahoney
- Presented the 2012 Cupertino Rotarian of the Year Award to Tina Ferguson
- The David Hegarty Award for outstanding public and community relations to Sunil Nethisinghe and Gary Jones
President Larry presented next year’s President Hsing Kung with the president’s pin. Outgoing President Larry received the past president’s pin. PP Bev recognized President-elect Savita Vaidhyanathan.
PP Bev invited Laurie Dean up to receive special acknowledgement and appreciation.
PP and Vice Mayor Orrin Mahoney and Council Member Rod Sinks presented PP Larry with a proclamation from the City of Cupertino. Orrin also showed the plaque that will be hung at Quinlan acknowledging Rotary’s meeting date and time.
PP Steve Andrews presented a special gift from the Cupertino Rotary to PP Larry, a special cycling shirt, a jigsaw puzzle of Cupertino, and a selection of gifts from the Bicycle Shop.
PP Bev thanked PP Larry for a wonderful year.
PP Larry closed with remarks of appreciation, thanks, and congratulations.