Our Rotary Club has now completed the third quarter of this Rotary year. It is amazing how quickly the time has flown by. Each of our committees continue to do a great job with events, projects and activities that benefit others. Our Board is very supportive of everything we do as well. For your information, please review the accomplishments listed below:
1. Participated in "Brown Bag Project" 6 times (Jan - Mar) to bag and deliver food items to deserving seniors in town.
2. Several members participated in the school reading program.
3. Two members attended the District Foundation Gala and awards dinner and received recognition for the club's contributions to the R.I. Foundation.
4. Three members attended the District STEPS Conference at UCSB -- had great speakers on the reduction of poverty in various areas.
5. Several members attended the Carp. Chamber of Commerce awards dinner. A recognition award was given to Pat Kistler for all her many contributions.
6. Our Club donated $500 to the Jr. Carpinterian of the Year award given by the Carp. Chamber.
7. New signs for our Rotary Club were installed on the North & South entrance boards to Carpinteria with our meeting location and time.
8. The Club President, President-Elect and President-Elect-Nominee attended the District Mid-Term leadership training seminar.
9. The Club President attended the 60th anniversary dinner of the Montecito Club, which was a great event. Their club was involved in the establishment of our club 40 years ago.
10. On Feb. 16th our Club presented the very successful Talent Show at the Carp. Theater (two performances) to benefit our Rotary Foundation. A great job by David Powdrell, Roland Rotz, Donna Treloar, Lin Graf and many other members that helped.
11. Two students from our Carp. High School Interact Club were selected to attend the RYLA leadership training camp (expenses paid by our club).
12. Roland Rotz attended the President-Elect 3-day training class in preparation for his year as Club President.
13. Feb. 23rd was the 108th anniversary of Rotary's founding by Paul Harris on 2/23/1905. We have grown from 1 club then to 34,416 clubs and over 1.2 million members. We are pleased to have been just one of these many clubs for nearly 40 years, serving the unique community of Carpinteria.
14. Our Club was honored by the Carp. Lions Club for participating in their "Festival of Trees' project in Dec.
15. The Club donated $500 to the Santa Barbara Food Bank, along with the other Group 8 clubs, to help purchase an electric powered pallet jack for their warehouse needs.
16. The Club donated $500 to the City of Carp. Parks & Recreation Dept. to assist them with the upgrading of the community swimming pool.
17. Pat Kistler prepared a District Grant request in concert with the Carp. Morning Club to pursue a second library project in rural Panama for next year. This would be a continuation of our International project. The process is a little complicated, but we are hopeful it will go forward.
18. March 14th we inducted Teddy Herzog as a new member. He is a contractor and his wife Shannon is a professional photographer. David Powdrell was his sponsor. We are pleased to have Teddy as a member.
19. March 21st we inducted Lynn Harrison as a new member. He is General Manager of E. J. Harrison Co., Waste Management Co.. David Durflinger was his sponsor. We are pleased to have Lynn as a member.
20. Several members participated in the Career Day at Carp. High School to talk to many of the students about career ideas. This was a Vocational Service Project.
21. March 28th we inducted Clarissa Morris as a new member. She is retired after 25 years with Santa Barbara County Public Administration where she managed numerous social service projects and needs. David Bloedel was her sponsor. We are pleased to have Clarissa as a member.
22. Two RYLA students and the High School Interact Board members attended our club meeting and updated us on their projects with help from Rich Campos of our club as adult leader and advisor.
I really enjoy serving as your President and I look forward to a fun and rewarding fourth quarter of our year. Thanks to everyone for your participation and support with our activities and projects. Roland Rotz is preparing for the start of his year as President. We want to provide him with our full support and know that he will be very successful.
Yours in service,