What the ROTARY CLUB OF ALAMEDA does for Alameda and the world
What does it take to change the world? Rotary's 1.2 million members believe it starts with a commitment to Service Above Self.
In more than 34,000 clubs worldwide, you'll find members volunteering in communities at home and abroad to support education and job training, provide clean water, combat hunger, improve health and sanitation, and eradicate polio.
To bring it back to our own back yard, the Rotary Club of Alameda has 80 members who come from leadership positions in Business, Government and non-profit organizations. Most recently, we have devoted our energies to raising funds for our grants/scholarship programs. Here’s how we do it:
• We sponsor 3 “Free to the Public” Concerts of the Cove programs each year.
• We sponsor the yearly Spring Egg Scramble.
• We donate between 18 to 25 thousand dollars every year to local non-profit grantees.
• We raise funds to help defray the cost of Alameda students who need scholarship help (@ $12K per year).
• We raise funds through our own fellowship mixers such as this one at Cafe “Q”
• We enter into bike races and have folks sponsor us – miles for dollars.
• We raise funds to send 5 students to a Youth Leadership camp in the Santa Cruz mountains.
• The Oakland Raiders are members of our Club. We make a profit by selling seats to games for them and us.
• Our club never takes a cut of any of our fund raisers. We are totally self-sustaining through our own dues structure.
Every year, we make a special effort to help those less fortunate in the world with our fund raising work through our World Community Service team. During the last few years, here are some recent examples of where we have helped:
• El Salvador – Drip irrigation system
• Honduras – Water storage tank/distribution system
• Chile – Burned Children clinic support
• Costa Rica – Wheel Chair purchase and delivery
• Guatemala – Kitchen stoves & Scholarship for primary schools
For more information on becoming part of our organization, write to President John King, email@example.com or Secretary, John Spafford, JTSpafford@aol.com