Meeting Wednesday 15th May - scribed by Marilyn Cunnington
Sec. Barry Ross - advised the club of the letter of resignation from Sue Adams. PR Report – Marilyn Cunnington told the members that the “Pamper Box” project is underway and some club members have already responded. Can members put “pamper” items in, for example, shoe boxes ( conditioner, moisturizers, sunscreen, lipstick, perfumed candles, etc) asap. Please - do not seal the boxes as they need to be checked/paper tissued to protect the products for travel. Tie with a ribbon which can be undone. Dick Cox, Asst Governor, is seeking storage space for the boxes as our cluster clubs are also involved in this project. John Glass, District Emergency Co-ord, is to confirm the destination of need/trauma delivery.
As there was no speaker a member’s forum was held. Here are member’s comments from my understanding in order of member’s comments!
1. Kel Hobby – Rotary Australia World Community Service (RAWCS) – school furniture has been donated to Rotary Donations in Kind (DIK) is a major recycling operation, run by volunteers, that gives suitable goods to people in need, for free. The furniture will be sent to Timor Leste where there is a desperate need. It will cost $5000 to transport .
2. Barry Nichols – The Heritage brochures – a concept originally from the late Kevin MacDonald is to be updated and reprinted. Marilyn C. and Barry are applying for a Shire Community Grant. MP Shire co-financed the original document. Our club has a very productive relationship with the Shire and sees the club “doing things” in past years.
3. Leon Riley - Membership details-
The club has lost 6 members this year and 2 more will go at Changeover
There are 64 members
58 plus 5 honorary members
3 over 80
4. John Quinton – suggested that it time to maintain the original brass plaques on the heritage properties as in the heritage brochure. Barry Nicholls, Bob Levens, Bill Seward and Leon Riley offered to help John Quinton to clean the plaques. John Q to organise.
5. Ian Harvey told members of the great BBQ job the David Dunn and Ron Scheele did at the opening of the recently refurbished Watson’s Hall (Portsea Town Hall) opening with the Shire and members of the Petanque Club. A donation of $150 was given to the club for our services.
6. David Dunn – on Sat June 1st the Council Skate Board Competition is to be held. Our club has been asked to provide s BBQ on the day for approx. 200 people – 12 noon –onwards. Members can call David to volunteer or advise him our next meeting on 22nd /5.
7. Brian Carr suggested that “exit interviews” be held when a member resigns. Valuable information could be had as to the reasons behind the resignation.
8. John Irvine – our resident beekeeper – has been selling his honey as the BBQ – he has given a cheque for $125 to the club. Well done, J.
9. Marg MacDonald – has also been selling John’s sought after honey and presented a cheque for $100 for Rotary Overseas Medical Aid (ROMAC). Well done, Marg. She also requested that if anyone has Lisbon lemons she is preparing to make lemon butter again for sale for ROMAC . Marg also needs jars please - Marilyn offered 20 “vegemite jars” – she does not eat Vegemite!
10. Due to the absence of Colin Hinshelwood Prue & Tony Sheer will administer the Speakers Roster until Colin returns in late July. Not an easy job!
11. Neil Briggs asked why only 50% of members came to meetings. What are the reasons? He also said that communication from Board members was not good. Neville Murray suggested a phone call/letter to members to find our why they are not attending. Should members be allowed to take 6 months leave of absence? John Quinton said that there were many reasons and some members could almost be crossed off the membership list. Who/how many are the active members?
12. Changeover Night 29th June - Prue Sheer will take over the organisation due to the resignation of Sue Adams.
13. Bill Seward – asked for the arrangements for the Salvation Army collections days – Sat 18/Sun19 and Sat 25th/Sun26th. John Irvine will call Ted Moore who has the list of those members who have volunteered and advise details.
14. Don Campbell - spoke of our club membership – ageing, many leave for better climes in winter, basically a “summer club” when most of our successful activities take place. He also suggested that he felt there had been too many changes too quickly recently.
15. Barry Nicholls told members the reason for his wearing a“white ribbon”.It is for Australia's Campaign to Stop Violence Against Women. He is an ambassador.
16. Marilyn C -said that Sue Adams had agreed to be a “friend of Rotary”. This could be a way to assist the club for projects with people who are in our community to help when they can and maybe when family responsibilities has decreased to become Rotarians. For example, the parents at the two schools which we as Rotary support. This could increase our “workforce” and raise the profile of Rotary and our club in the community. They may later become Rotarians.
17. Juris Klaikalitis -suggested that joint meetings with our cluster clubs may be useful and help membership
18. Tony Sheer- suggested that we meet with other clubs who have a Wednesday night meeting also.