Rotary Youth Exchange – A Scholarship that can change a life
Rotary International began youthexchanges in 1927 when the Rotary Club of Nice, Franceinitiated exchanges with European students. Our district- Rhode Island, the Cape, and southeastern Massachusetts, has joined with 36 other Rotary districts in New England and the Middle Atlantic Statesinto a consortium called the Eastern States Student Exchange or ESSEX, whichwas founded in 1966.
The program today involves more than82 countries and over 8,000 students each year. Rotary Youth Exchangetakes pride in choosing students who are academically above average,articulate, and demonstrate leadership in their communities.
Benefits for Participants
- Experience cultures other than their own and a broaden their view of the world
- Gain fluency in a foreign language
- Become more mature and gain a deeper understanding of themselves
- Develop leadership and communication skills
Youth Exchange Eligibility Students Must Be
- Between the ages of 15 and 18 1/2
- At the high-school or equivalent academic level
- Above-average academically
- Socially ready to handle living abroad for an extended period
A long-term exchange lasts for anacademic year. Students stay with 2-3 host families and are required to attendschool in their host country.
A short term exchange isfamily-to-family and lasts from three to six weeks when school is not insession.