If you missed our meeting on April 11, like I did, be glad that we have a good note taker in Past President Jim Bondi! I'm sorry I missed it, but I was watching my son get his Aggie ring (can I get a Whoop?).
Jose opened the meeting with the Invocation by Stu McLennan and pledge by Dean Honchul. Guests were introduced to include our special guest speakers: (Star Group Veterans Helping Veterans) Jonathan Haywood (President), John A Robertson (Vice President), Karen Powell (Advisory Council), and Sheila Timmons (Executive Director).
Birthday recognitions and celebrations went to Charlie Brown and Emilio Perales - many congratulation and wonderful wishes!
Jose spoke about the Crawfish Boil along with Dave Hall seeking silent auction items, Juan River seeking sponsors and Jarrod Weaver provided a ticket update - 112 envelopes distributed with the challenge building between Stan Passman and Jim Bondi (35 vs. 40 tickets sold, respectively).
Highlights of the Club meeting program:
- Jonathan Haywood serves as the Star Group Veterans Helping Veterans President and provided wonderful insight into Star Group Veterans Helping Veterans (SG VHV) organization. SG VHV was organized 6 years ago with a vision statement "that each and every veteran and citizens of our communities is given the attention and tools needed to be successful in everyday life. No veteran, their family or citizens is without food, shelter, support, and a person who cares and understands.
- The organization was formed from a concerned group of veterans who saw unmet needs within their veteran community. This Group of Veterans with the extreme desire to help others decided something needed to be done. The Spirit of a Soldier never dies but continues to find ways to adapt and overcome.
- VHV Mission Statement: To support veterans, their families and citizens of our communities; to be a voice in the community to raise awareness for veterans' challenges including homelessness.
- Star Group-Veterans Helping Veterans is a non-profit 501c3 organization whose main purpose is to be a viable voice in the community for veterans and to assist other citizens in our community.
- Throughout the year SG VHV hosts or participate in a number of events in Central Texas, such as:
Relay for Life & Race for the Cure (Cancer, 3 May, Shoemaker High School)
Picnic at the Civic Center (28 June)
Gospel Concert (29 June)
Independence Day Picnic Celebration
Thanksgiving Basket Giveaway (select 10 families)
Christmas Holiday Assistance program
Operation Phantom Support - Killeen Food Bank
- When someone walks into the SG VHV building they will leave better than when they entered the building.
- As a non-profit organization, no one in the SG VHV organization is paid -- it's all volunteers. To help you do not need to be member!
- Membership is all about helping people - and holding people accountable.
For more information - website - www.stargroup-veteranshelpingveterans.org
Following the Jonathan's presentation, he entertained a number of questions. Thank you so much for a fantastic program!
Michelle Lee reminded everyone about Hockey Night in Cedar Park. Other announcements included - Celebrate Killeen Festival on Thursday, 24 April, 5pm-9pm.
Bob Crouch provided an update on Larry Phelps and stated he is doing much better following his By-pass surgery. Please keep Larry and his family in your prayers.
Jarrod Weaver closed the meeting with the 4 Way Test.
Have a wonderful Good Friday and great Easter Weekend, and remember NO MEETING THIS WEEK!