Service Above Self
We meet Wednesdays at 12:00 PM
125 Riverside Drive
Penticton, BC V2A 5Y4
Rotapen - Weekly Newsletter
Posted by Linda Metcalfe on Aug 27, 2014
We are so happy to welcome Dale Krushel as our newest member! Dale is seen here with Roy Phillips, Sandra Curnow and Jim Henderson (who was the sponsor for Dale).
Posted by Linda Metcalfe on Aug 29, 2014
- Barb Hoolaeff is still accepting your gently used items for the Yard Sale
- Bring your Rotarian Magazine (after you have finished reading it)
Upcoming Club Events:
- Yard Sale, Saturday September 13th and 20th.
- Wednesday, September 3rd at Noon with featured speaker Jerome Abraham of Discovery House, a drug and rehab centre here in Penticton.
- Guests: Our guest today was Mark Bedford, previously with the Oak Bay Rotary Club.
- Birthdays: Ben Amos.
- Sandra Curnow chaired our meeting during President Cal's absence.
- Ribfest: Barb Hoolaeff gave an update on the work of the Ribfest Committee. She and Gord Watson met with the City and also the RCMP re the Beer Tent and holding the event. Craig Dusel will be looking after the volunteers and John Vassilacki will be looking after the Beer Tent. Don Michiel is in charge of the 4 Ribbers and has already had a meeting with them. Barb discussed the budget and the need for $60,000 in sponsorship. Several members expressed their concerns regarding the financial risk but Barb emphasized that if the sponsorship goal is not met by a date in November, that the event will not happen.
- Corporate Membership: Membership Chair Don Michiel reported that while RI does not endorse corporate membership, other than from accepted clubs in a pilot group until 2017, that our club, along with other clubs in the District, have chosen to allow this type of membership on an exceptional basis. One of the 3 corporate members from BMO is listed as an "Active" member with RI. All 3 corporate members receive notices, are welcome at our meetings and events and have a name badge.
- 2014/2015 Budget: Treasurer Jon Milligan discussed the budget as presented to the members (copies supplied to each table). It was noted that the item re "Toys for Tots" should be removed from the budget with no reflection on the net for the year. Motion: Moved by Ben Amos, seconded by Paul Varga, that the Rotary Club of Penticton 2014/2015 Budget be accepted as presented with the removal of the Toys for Tots. Motion accepted. Carried. Note: Post meeting, the revised budget was sent to all members in PDF format.
- Committee Lists: Sandra Curnow reminded the members that the Committee Lists have been distributed prior and will continually be updated as new members join our club. The current list is available on the website for download.
- Exchange Student: Sandra Krauer introduced our exchange student Irene Menegazzi, who is from northern Italy. Irene presented her club banner to our club.
- Induction of New Member: Jim Henderson introduced our newest member Dale Krushel to our members. Dale is from Winnipeg and in 1993 moved to the Okanagan. Dale is with TD Waterhouse and has 3 grown children living in Kelowna. Roy Phillips oversaw the induction of Dale and did a splendid job as usual! Tom Rahkola, returning to our club, is also one of our new members.
- Other Announcements: Judi Cassidy spoke of the Rotaplast team who need 2 more members for their trip in October. If anyone is interested, contact the Summerland Club or Judi. President Cal and Lori Motluk sent their thanks to all the members who volunteered with Challenge BC.
- Sheriff: Sandra Curnow, not only the Chair but also the Sheriff, levied quite a few fines. Any Rotarian who did not volunteer with Challenge BC paid a fine. Other fines included "visiting Rotarian" Grant Klatik; Justin White for texting during the meeting and President Cal for being absent and causing Sandra to chair.
- Draw: The draw today was for $54. The winning ticket belonged to John Deyaeger who did not draw the joker from the new deck!
Below are photos from the airport welcoming our new exchange student as well as some from the meeting.